Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow Truck Operator Struck - 07.19.24 (OH)

JACKSON COUNTY, Ohio (WSAZ) - One man is seriously injured after a crash along State Route 93 in Jackson County, according to the Ohio State Highway Patrol.

Troopers say the crash happened Friday at 11:00 p.m. near milepost 9 in Franklin Township.

According to the Ohio State Highway Patrol, Donald Riffle, 52 of Wellston, was operating a 2016 Peterbilt rollback tow truck. Riffle was stopped in the southbound lane of State Route 93 as he provided recovery assistance for a disabled motorist.

Daniel Baker Jr., 20 of Jackson, was operating a 2013 Chevrolet Silverado, traveling southbound on State Route 93.

As Riffle was outside of his tow truck securing the disabled vehicle for transport, the tow truck and Riffle were struck by another driver referred to as, Mr. Baker. Baker then overturned several times before traveling off the left side of the road and running into a guardrail and traffic sign.

Riffle sustained serious injury and was flown to the hospital.

Baker sustained minor injury and was treated on scene by Jackson County Emergency Medical Services.

State Route 93 was closed for approximately two hours for crash investigation and clean-up.

Responding agencies include the Jackson County, Ohio Sheriff Office, Jackson County EMS, Jackson Fire Department, Air Evac, Madison-Jefferson Fire Department and Dales Towing.

The crash remains under investigation

RESOURCE LINK

• 4 weeks later...

On July 19th, my dad, Donald Riffle, a tow truck driver, was struck by a vehicle while on the job. 

We are lucky he survived the incident and is moving towards healing, others are not so lucky. 

We recently learned that the driver who hit my dad was uninsured. 

We are still navigating the complexities & bureaucracy of Worker’s Comp & hospitals as well. He has not yet been able to receive his wages from Worker’s Comp due to the loops and hoops we have had to jump through to get his claim going. 

I am trying to focus on the miracle that dad is alive, but I am disgusted with the systems in place that elongate this process for someone who has been injured at no fault of their own. 

If you would like to donate to support my dad, his coworker has kindly organized this gofundme to help with travel expenses while we get him moving towards recovery. 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/tow-truck-driver-hit-while-on-duty