Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down: Tow Truck Driver Struck By Passing Vehicle (MD)(Updated 05.26.17)

TowForce

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A tow truck driver has been taken to a hospital after being hit by a passing vehicle Wednesday afternoon.

The Anne Arundel County Police Department was called just before 3:30 p.m., about an auto-pedestrian wreck near Belle Grove and Baltimore Annapolis Blvd.

Responding officers found an injured tow truck driver. Police say the 45-year-old man was outside of his truck on the side of the road when a vehicle struck him and also hit the tow truck.

The other vehicle stayed at the scene and refused medical treatment

RESOURCE LINK

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A tow truck driver has died after being hit by a passing vehicle Wednesday afternoon.

The Anne Arundel County Police Department was called just before 3:30 p.m., about an auto-pedestrian wreck near Belle Grove and Baltimore Annapolis Blvd.

Responding officers found an injured tow truck driver. Police say the 45-year-old man was outside of his truck on the side of the road when a vehicle struck him and also hit the tow truck.

The tow truck driver was taken to a hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries.

The other vehicle stayed at the scene and refused medical treatment.

Police say the primary cause of the crash is the passing vehicles failure to reduce speed and avoid a collision. Investigators believe alcohol and/or drugs may have been a contributing factor to the crash.

RESOURCE LINK

Tow truck driver struck, killed picking up disabled vehicleAnne Arundel County Police are investigating the death of a tow truck driver killed in a crash Wednesday. 

At 3:30 p.m. officers responded to the 6500 block in Belle Grove Road for a reported northbound crash.

Police said a Safetow Tow truck driver, later identified as Thomas Flayhart, 48, was picking up a disabled vehicle when he was struck from behind.

During the investigation, officers identified the at fault driver as Brian Wayne Weatherly, 31 and believe he was impaired during the incident. 

Police said Weatherly was transported to Harbor Hospital for treatment and Flayhart was taken to University of Maryland Shock Trauma where he later died.

The cause of the crash was Weatherly's failure to reduce speed.

Weatherly was involved in a fatal crash in March 2009, according to police.

The victim, Chrissy Schoppert, 38, died, but her 5-year-old daughter was rescued by an officer. 

Detectives said that any charges will be reviewed by the States' Attorney and the Traffic Safety Section is handling the tow truck death investigation.

RESOURCE LINK

mooresbp said:

Our thoughts and prayers go out to them

BB Automotive Towing said:

Prayers be with you!

Speedracer said:

Thoughts and Prayers for the family and co-workers.  This is one of the most dangerous professions out there!

We really need to promote the "slow down" and "move over laws".

getuone2x said:

Thoughts and Prayers for the family and friends.

OLD TOW said:

The family of the driver is in our prayers as well as the company he worked for, and his fellow workers. I fully agree that we need desperately need to do something about the "Move Over" law, but what? One of the Big Wheels in our Highway Patrol Dept. started out as a tow truck driver for a local company when he first got out of high school, (I can remember him well) however the Highway Patrol in our area don't see to give a flip about the law in our area. Whenever I come upon a HP Officer that has pulled over a vehicle, I always turn my overheads on and move over, reminding the traffic behind me they are supposed to do the same, and it usually works. But WHAT can we (as mere tow truck owner/drivers) possibly do about it? If anyone has a solution please inbox me with it! ...... Thanks All Rick

Michael McGovern said:

"Investigators believe alcohol and/or drugs may have been a contributing factor to the crash."

This is why the move-over laws are completely ineffective in protecting tow operators working on the side of the road.  A drunk or drugged driver is physically INCAPABLE of moving over.  They're drunk!  If they were inclined to comply with traffic laws they would not be driving drunk in the first place.  Move-over laws are just something to talk about after a tow operator is killed or seriously injured. 

Prayers for the family of this man.  Don't rely on a move-over law to protect you.  Use good roadside protocols and be safe out there.

truckman said:

I'm really sorry to hear this happened. And equally incensed at the driver who struck the tow truck operator. I drive truck hauling cars for a living all throughout the 48 states and see these idiots not moving over regularly for all emergency vehicles on the shoulder.

cdntowguy said:

Deepest sympathies and condolences to his family and friends.
Steve in Ottawa

5towman said:

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. As Mr McGovern stated, laws won't help us. It's up to us to use all measures possible to provide for your own safety. Always work the non traffic controls. Wear your reflective gear. And if you have to enter and exit the vehicle from the passenger side to be safe, then do it. Traffic side tie downs can wait until you are in a safe location to install.