Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

When Our Industry Operates Without Reason & Accountability...

Got a call this morning for a 26' Uhaul truck in a Walmart parking, lot going to a Ford Truck dealer about 30 miles away. The office takes the call and sends me the link... When I look at it, it says it's loaded & "towing" but no information about the problem or particulars. We try the customer's number multiple times and can't get through. I'm concerned because if it has a Auto Transporter on it, it's difficult (and illegal in PA) to tow the combination since they drag at the hitch. So I head out to see what's up and Eddie calls the main facility to find out more info. He's told "They emptied it already and I don't know that it's towing anything"...Ok, we will see. We go the 25 miles away and find this...

20240701_112005.thumb.jpg.10e2ed6d60f31d2d554119bfd739b2be.jpg

So not only does it have a trailer, it's fully loaded. The customer was told that we were going to tow this to a nearby  Uhaul dealer where they are going to trans load it into another truck. So I ask where is his final destination and its about 2 blocks away from where we are sitting...in a narrow lane/ally way. They didn't believe I could get a wrecker in to it...so I asked then how are you going to get a 26' truck in it? Then the customer tells me that the previous night, a vender came out to his location in NJ for a no-start. The guy kept his cables on the truck for 90 min trying to jump start it? 2 or 3 hrs in to the call, the guy gave up... Then when it wouldn't start, they sent another vender in a Heavy to tow the truck back to PA and drop it in this parking lot which was completed around 3:00 this morning... So I said to the guy... "This is a brand new truck - litterly a 2025 F650...did anyone look for something stupid?" So I look at the dash and the truck has 140 miles on it!...LoL

20240701_111410.thumb.jpg.485626408a1d5d438f4c531c87e760f3.jpg

So I told him before I hook this and go through all of that bull...I'm going to check it out... I get a test light out of the wrecker, and check the power distribution box and there's no power anywhere. So I take the right step off to access the battery - and tighten the negative terminal nut with my fingers and the truck comes to life! Imagine that....

20240701_232717.thumb.jpg.47258250c03eb4b86fc2fc7abdb7c7f3.jpg

SO I tightened it and put the truck back together. The operator left the scene so I called him 3 or 4 min later and said come get your truck....

20240701_111344.thumb.jpg.cb9c3e2444417c19aaa154205fdb3bc6.jpg

So I got to ask...what fool spent 90 min jumping a brand new truck (using the jump post mounted externally on the box) and couldn't figure out a loose terminal? The guy told me that while he was hooked up, the truck would make a "Rapid clicking noise" when they tried to start it...and as soon as he removed the cables, the dash would go dark. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out... I would imagine that the company has over a grand in service call & tow from NJ...plus they owe me 3 or 400 bucks for actually fixing it... 

Is there no more common sense? 

• Like 5

Ed,

There is not much common sense anymore, we were asked to transload a fully loaded 53' trailer because another repair vendor demanded it be emptied before they would put new brakes and drums on the trailer. 

So, no common sense I am afraid is a thing of the past.  Society has no idea what is common means, because they don't experience life anymore, life to them is through a screen from now on.

• Like 2

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY